A day in the life of a School Psychologist
Ever wonder what life is like for a School Psychologist? It’s hectic, lacks consistency, and there are so many things to keep track of. However, it’s also rewarding and never boring. Well, report writing days are sometimes boring. Most days I love my job! But since, no two days are the same, I’m free to have days that I don’t love it. So, here’s what my day was like today…
Warning: This is not a typical day, because there are no typical days for a School Psychologist.
However, this was my day today….
1. Arrive at the Special Services Office to sign out a test.
2. Drive to my elementary school.
3.Check email and have conversations with a few different teachers, catching up on several kids, and scheduling myself for the next week.
4. Observe a student in an inclusion classroom that is in the midst of an evaluation.
5. Print off observation notes from observations of a student that has been having behavioral problems in preparation for meeting this afternoon.
6.Discuss possible reading strategies with a special education teacher regarding a student who just isn’t getting it.
8. Preparation for testing.
9. Start testing student who was referred for a full evaluation. (Do full cognitive assessment.)
10. Co-lead a Functional Behavioral Assessment Meeting.
(I liked my job today)